Players of the 80's

DONALD PARK (1978/83) - Pl 46, gls 15
Donald joined Thistle in 1978 In a move which saw Denis McQuade and John Craig move to Hearts. He played regularly in midfield for two seasons. He played as a striker in his last few seasons at Firhill, linking particularly well with Maurice Johnston. He was an groat asset to the side in the late 70s/early 80s andwon a Glasgow Cup winners medal in 1981. On leaving Thistle he returned to Hearts and consequently moved on to Meadowbank Thistle.

BILLY PAXTON (1987/88) - Pl 8
Signed by Billy Lamont from Cowdenbeath. Billy had been a much-admired midfielder in the Second Division, but was unable to make the step up to the First Division. Although his effort could not be faulted, the inescapable truth was that he was not good enough for the club.

ALAN PIRIE (1987/88) - Pl 22 (4)
Young right-back/midfielder who was signed along with Hugh Lyden by Thistle after their club Kilbirnie Ladeside played in the Junior Cup Final. Alan had a tremendous appetite for the game and played with great determination, appearing fairly regularly for one season. At the end of the season he left to go junior once again, rejoining Lydon at Auchinleck Talbot.

RAJIV PATHAK (1985/86) - Pl 13 (2)
"Joey" was hard-working midfield player who played only briefly for Thistle in 85/86. He showed enough ability to suggest that he might have a future in the game, but pressure of work meant that he had to give up the game.

BRYAN PURDIE (1987/88-1988/89) - Pl 31, gls 1
Experienced sweeper who was signed from Raith Rovers after having played with Cowdenbeath, Alloa and Falkirk. Although criticised for his casual style Ihe played regularly until a 1-5 defeat against Airdrie, when he took the brunt of the blame for the result. He left Firhill to join East Stirling.

JACKIE RAFFERTY (1987/88) - Pl 12 (3)
Signed by Billy Lamont from Dumbarton. Jackie played regularly at the heart of the defence at the start of the season, but was released when John McCormack signed. He left the club in mid-season, destination not known.


ALAN ROUGH (1982-83) - Pl 22, gls 25/6
Alan began his senior career at Firhill, having joined the club as an 18-year-old from Sighthill Amateurs in 1969, and he made his debut for the club at the end of the 69/70 season as Thistle were doomed to relegation to the Second Division. If it was not evident that Thistle had found a good young keeper in his first few games in the First Division, then the following season in the Second it became very obvious as Roughy was an important member of the promotion side which stormed their way to the title in 1971 and a League Cup victory a few months later in October 1971.

Already Alan was assured a permanent place in Thistle lore, but he went on to become perhaps Thistle's finest ever keeper, being capped over 50 times for his country and bringing honour to the club over and over again. At the end of his Firhill career he moved to Hibs and continued his international career with the Edinburgh club. Following his time at Easter Road he had short spells with Hamilton Accies, Celtic and Ayr United, before working as a coach with Glenafton Athletic in the Ayrshire juniors league.

DAVID SCOTT (1982/83 - 84/85) - Pl 12 (5)
Young centre-half who was signed from Tynecastle Boys Club in 1981 making his debut in September 1982 as Peter Cormack attempted to freshen up the team Although he invariably gave steady performances, he was unable to get a regular first team place, and left the club in 1985.

BRIAN SCRINGEMOUR (1987/88) - Pl 21, gls 1
Signed from Falkirk by Billy Lamont. Brian had previously played with Dundee and Chesterfield before signing for Thistle. His time at Firhill was mostly uninspiring, and he is probably best remembered for replacing John Brough in goals against Hamilton and keeping aclean sheet. Living and working in Dundee, training was difficult, and Brian left the club at the end of the season.

PETER SHIELDS (1984/85) - Pl 13 (5)
Peter had been a steady left-back with Hearts before he joined Thistle in 1984, but by then he was clearly past his best and his performances were a disappointment. Left the club at the end of the season.

BOBBY SMITH (1989/90) - Pl 29 (1), gls 1
Man of many clubs, Bobby had been previously with Hibs, Leicester, Peterborough and Dunfermline before joining Thistle. Signed as a stop-gap left back he did a good job, and despite his age he showed a good level of fitness. Scored once for Thistle against Clydebank. Released at the end of the season, Bobby joined Berwick Rangers in the Second Division.

Gordon Smith

GORDON SMITH (1985/86-86/87) - Pl 33 (2), gls 12
Previously with Hearts, Berwick, Falkirk and Meadowbank, "Pogo" joined Thistle in September 1985, and scored his first goal for the club a week after his debut. Always an enthusiastic stnker, his bustling style created problems for opposing defences, but his temper often meant that he was his own and Thistle's worst enemy, contriving to be sent off on more than one occasion. Despite this he was a popular player with the supporters. Left to join East Fife.

KEN SMITH (1982/83) - Pl 1
Signed from Leven Bank Juveniles as a 21-year-old, the tall centre-half was unable to break through into the side. Played once in the relegation season 8l/82, and once against Queens Park in the First Division. Left the club at the end of the season.