Players of the 80's

WILLIE McSTAY (1989/90) - Pl 4 (1)
Signed on loan from Notts County attera spell with Celtic Although he showed occasional signs of good play at left back he did not do himself justice and returned to England. Later he joined Kilmarnock.

PETER MACKIE (1986/87) - Pl 33 (3), gls 3
Signed by Derek Johnstone, Mackie was one of the manager's first signings. Midfielder or forward who had gained experience with Celtic, Dundee and St Mirren previously, he struggled to make an impact in a poor Thistle side. His record of three goals in 36 matches was poor for an attacking player, he left Firhill at the end of 86/87 season.

ALAN MACKIE (1984/85-1986/87) - Pl 30, gls 1
Arrived at Firhill from Falkirk in exchange for Jimmy Gilmour. A centre-half, he was tall and physical, but was never able to hold down a first-team place for any length of time. A successful businessman in his own right, while a player he offered to invest in the club, but the offer was not accepted. After his playing career he joined East Stirling as managor, he remains at Firs Park as a director.

PAUL MAHER (1987/88-1988/89) - Pl 2 (1)
Young centre-half signed from Baillieston in 1988. Hhe dominated in the air but was poor on the ground. Regularly turned out for the reserves, he never managed the same for the first team. Left and joined Pollok, before moving on to Petershill.

PETER MARINELLO (1983/84) - Pl 1 (5)
A friend of manager Peter Cormack, Marinello appeared from nowhere to play occasional games for the club. At the end of a successful career, he was not fit enough to play 90 minutes, but still showed his ability when he appeared as a substitute.

DOUGIE MILLS (1984/85) - Pl 2
One of several players to sign for Thistle from Drumchapel Amateurs in 1984. The tail ungainly centre-hall played most of the season in the reserves, making very occasional appearances for the first team. Left in 1985 for Albion Rovers before joining Queen of the South.

JOHN MITCHELL (1986/87-1989/90) - Pl 95 (13), gls 12
Signed from Auchengill Boys' Club, John made the first team almost immediately and for the tail end of 86/87 and the following season he impressed greatly. However, he was unable to repeat his good form in the next two seasons, and although he played regularly in 88/89, played only occasionally in his last season. Scored in the 1989 Glasgow Cup Final to win a winners' medal. A local boy, he remained in Maryhill when he moved from Thistle to Clyde as part of the deal that saw Colin McGlashan come to Thistle.


ANDY MURDOCH (1988/89 - 1989/90) - Pl 28, gls 30/9
Came to Firhill on loan from Celtic and stayed for almost a year, his loan agreement being extended. Won a Glasgow Cup winners medal with Thistle in 1989, he became a great favourite with the Thistle fans, and will, without a doubt, go on to great things. It's almost a crime that he is not playing at a higher level than Celtic reserves, but strenuous efforts by John Lambie to make the signing permanent were resisted by Celtic.

JOHN MURRAY (1979/80 - 1985/86) - Pl 131 (7)
John signed for the club from Coltness in 1980 but did not become a regular until 1982. Playing either at left-back or centre-half he was one of Thistle's most consistent players in the mid-eighties, steady rather than spectacular. Total appearances from 1980 until 1986 was 158, he won several Player of the Year awards. Left Thistle in 1986 to join Clyde.

BILLY MULLIN (1984/85 -1986/87) - Pl 2 (6), gls 1
Livewire little striker who always tended to impress in the reserves but found it difficult to got a run in the first team. Scored once, against Clyde in the Glasgow Cup.

BRIAN NELSON (1986/87) - Pl (1)
Played as a trialist under Derek Johnstone against Queen of the South, replacing Bobby Law. Nothing is known about his clubs, either previous or subsequent.

Alex O'Hara

ALEX O'HARA (1982/83-1983/84) - Pl 64 (5), gls 12
Signed for Rangers in 1977, Alex was a regular for Thistle in all of the seven seasons he played at Firhill. Initially a forward, he dropped back to midfield later in his career. Played in a total of 268 games from 1977 until 1984, scoring 52 times. Won a Glasgow Cup medal in 1981, he later moved to Morton and then to Hamilton.

TOMMY O'HARA (1984/85) - Pl 16 (3)
Another of Benny Rooney's stop-gap, experienced professional signings at the start of 84/85. Tommy had previously been with Queen of the South, Motherwell and Falkirk before coming to Firhill Left-sided midfielder he left the club at the end of that season.