Players of the 80's

KENNY McDOWALL (1982/83-1984/85) - Pl 58 (19), gls 20
Kenny was signed from school in 1980, and made his debut in 1981. Hard worker who combined well with Maunce Johnston and created many chances for him. When Johnston left he was forced to create and finish efforts, something he could not do regularly. Despite this he was the top scorer in 83/84. Left Firhill to join St Mirren in 1984, he has been at Love Street since then.

DAVID McFARLANE (1989/90) - Pl 5 (4), gls 1
Originally with Rangers, David was signed by Sandy Clark from Kilmarnock in 1989 and played either in midfield or in defence. Scored once against Hamilton Accies. Emigrated to Australia, after just one season at the club.

BARNEY McGEE (1988/89) - Pl 2 (2)
Barney joined Thistle towards the end of 88/89 after a promising career with the Celtic youth and reserve teams, but couldn't make the step up to first team football. Left the club at the end of the season tojoine Dalry Thistle.

BUDGIE McGHIE (1987/88 - 1988/89) - Pl 58 (1)
Gained experience of the Premier divislon with Clydebank before joining Thistle, where he played regularly during his first season. The following season he was unable to win his place in the team, and left at the end of that season for Queen of the South.

JIM McGINLEY (1988/89) - Pl 1 (5)
Signed by Billy Lamont from Petershill, the youngster played in a few games at the start of the season but did not show enough promise and was reinstated back to Petershill later in the season before joining Dumbarton.

WILLIE McGUIRE (1987/88 - 1989/90) - Pl 35 (22), gls 8
Signed by his previous boss at Falkirk, Billy Lamont, he played regularly in his first season, his close control gaining Thistle several penalties throughout the season. Willie scored a hat-trick against Clydebank in February, 1988. The following season he was unpopular with supporters over an alleged spitting incident and left the club. He was persuaded to return the following season but played only occasionally and retired from football at the end of the season.

BRENDAN McINTYRE (1985/86-1986/87) - Pl 17
Brendan was signed from Hearts after spending time at Norwich. Playing only occasionally either at left-back, centre halt or in midfield, he was unable to get a regular game, and left to join Queen of the South in 1986. Since then he has played with Stranraer and Falkirk.

PAUL McKENZIE (1983/84 -1985/86) - Pl 36 (26), gls 3
Made his debut in 1983, and following that played in most positions in the team. It was not until 85/86 that he was able to play regularly in the team. Left Firhill in 1986 for Ayr United, he subsequently joined Albion Rovers and Falkirk betore signing for Dumbarton..

BILLY McLAREN (1984/85) - Pl 5
Experienced player who had previously with Dunfermline, East Fife, Raith, Queen of the South, Morton, Hibs, and Clyde, he was brought to the club by Benny Rooney to coach. He was pressed into service when injuries hit the team but was unable to last the pace in the First Division. Billy left the club to move into management.

ARCHIE McLEAN (1988/89) - Pl 42, gls 59/10
Young goalkeeper signed from Highland League side Fort William in the close season of 1987. He made his debut three months later when John Brough was injured, and kept his place with some tine performances, endeanng himself to the Thistle fans. The following season saw him play regularly at the start of the season until ho lost five goals to Raith Rovers. This affected his confidence and he did not play again for the club. He was signed by Queen of the South, and later rejoined Fort William for the club's highest transfer fee paid.

DOUGIE McNAB (1982/83 - 1983/84) - Pl 58, gls 70/17
Goalkeeper signed in 1980 as an understudy to Alan Rough when Biliy Thompson left the club, he played in a handful of games until Rough left. Following that he was promoted to the first team and played until John Brough was signed After playing with Dumbarton and Hamilton on loan, he left Firhill for Meadowbank and played in a League Cup semi-final, before moving to Newtongrange Star.


JOHN McNAUGHT (1987/88) - Pl 14, gls 5
Worzel was a hard-running midfield player who moved to Chelsea from Hamilton before signing for Thistle in 1987. Troubled with injury he played only occasionally, and at the end of the season rejoined Hamilton. There he played only three games before having to give up the game due to illness.

BRIAN McQUADE (1985/86-1986/87) - Pl 21 (2)
Young left back or midtielder who was signed from Netherdale in 1985. When he played he always tried to be creative but at the end of 86/87 he was transferred to Larkhall Thistle.