Players of the 80's


LEX GRANT (1988/89-1989/90) - Pl 11 (8), gls 2
Experienced midtielder or forward who was signed from Falkirk. Previously had been with Queen's Park and Clydebank, where he was a qreat favourite and Ayr. Although he showed himself to a very skillful player in the reserves, he never showed his ability in first team games. During his last season he was loaned to East Stirling, he was released at the end of the season and joined Stranraer.

HUGH HAMILL (1984/85) - Pl 9, gls 2
Midfielder, signed from Queen of the South, he had previously played with Hibs and Dunfermline. Began well with Thistle, scoring two goals against Falkirk, he was prone to ill-discipline and was sent-off against Airdrie for kicking John Martin on the head.

DAVID HARVEY (1984/85) - Pl 1, gls 1/0
Former Scottish internationalist who was signed short-term to play only once while Brough was injured. Harvey had returned to Britain after a spell with Vancouver Whitecaps. His only game was in a 1-0 defeat against Clyde.

D. HAXTON (1987/88) - Pl 1, gls 4/0
Man of mystery who played one game in goal while Brough and McLean were injured. Reputedly signed from Glasgow Perthshire to play in one match.

DAVID HAYES (1984/85) - Pl 8
Ex-Morton player who was signed by Benny Rooney from Queen of the South in 1985. Played towards the end of the season at right-back, he was obviously unfit and was released at the end of the season.

WILLIE HERD (1983/84-1986/87) - Pl 113 (9), gls 12
herd Ex-East Fife player who was signed by Thistle from Falkirk as a replacement for Maurice Johnston. As a striker he was ineffective, but playing in midfield he became a regular in the team, and fairly popular with the fans. He had undoubted skill and enthusiasm, but failed to pass the ball at the right time on many occasions. Willie emigrated to Australia at the same time as David Walker at the end of the 86/87 season.

EDDIE HERON (1984/85) - Pl 2
One of six players signed from Drumchapel Amateurs at the start of the 84/85 season, Eddie played steadily for the reserves at right back or in midfield, but was unable to make the step up to the first team. Released at the end of the season.

RODDIE HUTCHISON (1983/84-1984/85) - Pl 18 (1), gls 1
Ex-Morton player, he played at the end of the 83/84 season before leaving the club to play for a spell in Hong Kong Returned the club for the start of 84/85, he was sent off in the first game of the season at Forfar.

COLIN JACKSON (1982/83) - Pl 22
Vastly experienced with Rangers, Colin was signed by Peter Cormack from Morton in October to strengthen the defence for the promotion push. Colin showed his class until the end of the season, controlling the defence. He is now involved in financial services.

FRED JACKSON (1987/86) - Pl 1, gls 0/1
Another emergency goalkeeper during 97/88, Freddy arrived from Baillieston during an injury crisis. Had an excellent game against Kilmarnock, then returned to the junior club.

MAURICE JOHNSTON (1981/82-1983/84) - Pl 72, gls 44
Made his debut at the beginning of the 81/82 season and quickly became the darling of the Thistle crowd. In that first season he finished top scorer with 11 goals as Thistle were relegated. He continued to show his class in the First Division, and scored 34 times in the following season. Maurice eventually left in the middle of 83/84. Since then he has played with Wattord, Celtic, Nantes and Rangers as well as playing 36 times for Scotland.

DEREK JOHNSTONE (1986/87) - Pl 4
Following experience and honours with Rangers, Chelsea, Dundee United and Scotland, Derek was controversially appointed player/manager thanks to his friendship with club owner Ken Bates. However, this post was to last only for eight months. He appeared only occasionally in a struggling defence. On leaving the club he began a career in broadcasting.

ALAN KAY (1982/83 - 1983/84) - Pl 69 (7), gls 3
Wholehearted defender who joined the club from school in 1978. He made the breakthrough into the first team at the beginning of the 81/82 season, but did not appear regularly until the following season. Capable of playing either at fulI-back or centre-half. One of the few genuine Thistle fans to have played for the club in recent years. He was devastated when he was released at the end of 83/84 season. He joined Dumbarton in the Premier Division but his enthusiasm for the game was gone, and he eventually gave up the game.